Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Learning How to Cross Stitch with Skillshare!



[Kristina] Hello, YouTube! So, I recently was given
the opportunity to get a membership on SkillShare Which is one of those sites, there's a lot of them
out there, they're just like these sites where you can Take all of these different classes
in like a million different topics. But we went on to SkillShare and we were like,
"What do we wanna learn today?" And so, we picked a class on like cross stitching. Like needlepoint, kind of like crafty stuff. Like a one morning thing kind of turned into like a
whole weekend thing.

[Jenn/Kristina] (laugh)
[Kristina] But it ended in us making these adorable Little cross stitch projects.
So they're little like... [Jenn] Can't really see them.
[Kristina] ... Rocket popsicles. Hey, you can see.
So yeah, we each made one of these.

And so we filmed the whole process
of like going and getting all of the supplies. And learning how to do it
and all of that. So, I have all of that to share with you.
And if you guys want, I think two months free, right? [Jenn] I think so.
[Kristina] If you guys want to try out Skillshare, You can get two months for free
at a link that I have down below. They're really awesome.

It's a great site.
I definitely recommend you going and checking it out. [Jenn] This was surprisingly fun.
This was fun and probably will be a hobby of mine [Jenn] For like a really long time.
[Kristina] Oh yeah! I also took a writing class separately. I was kind of starting out this new book project
and they had this class on outlining your novel. And, even though I've taken classes on this before,
it was really nice to just go have someone...

[Jenn] Refresher course? Like...
[Kristina] Yeah! Just like walk me through The steps to just make sure
that I'm thinking about everything. And I really feel like it helped me
start writing this book on like the right foot. So, already Skillshare has been amazing
and like those are just two examples Of vastly different things that you can do.
So, I had a ton of fun. I hope you had a ton of fun.

I really want an actual popsicle now.
Thank you guys for checking out our adventure. Here we go! OK. We are at Jo-Ann's and we got all the supplies
that we need to do our cross stitch. Including this tiny...
Tiny, little like frame hoop thingie.

[Jenn] It's gonna be really great. (Laughs)
[Kristina] Yeah, I also got ahead of myself And bought this magnetic needle case because
I used to cross stitch when I was little and I loved it. And I've always wanted to pick it back up again
so like I'm setting myself up [Kristina] For continued... Crafting.
[Jenn] Doing it forever...

Yeah. [Kristina] Look at all the colors! Uhhh! [Kristina] I just want to do everything.
[Jenn] (laughs) [Kristina] I just wanna... Uhhh, this is...
It's gonna be great. OK, we have our little setup here To learn how to do the cross stitching.

And we're all snuggled in on the couch,
to actually start. So we put our little fabric in the hoops
which was surprisingly difficult [Jenn] (laughs)
[Kristina] And then we printed the pattern And I think I need new ink
cause it looks like this. When it's definitely supposed to match
like these colours. [Jenn] And then...
[Kristina] The second one! (Laughs) [Jenn] (laughs)
[Kristina] Looks like that.

[Kristina] So... You know.
[Jenn] You know what? We'll wing it. [Kristina] Yeah. (Laughs)
[Jenn] (laughs) [Jenn] (laughs)
[Kristina] We tried (laughs) We tried to do it.

It really should be easy But just, OK. Just look at...
Can we focus on...? [Kristina] Yeah. There we go.
[Jenn] It's so... There's no hole.

[Kristina] It's so small.
[Jenn] In the needle. [Kristina] OK. So in the Skillshare tutorial that we
watched, she said that you could buy a... [Kristina] What was it? A twenty-four or a...
[Jenn/Kristina] Twenty-six.

[Kristina] Embroidery needle and we bought...
[Jenn] Twenty-six is smaller. [Kristina] Yeah, so we bought the smaller one
cause we're like "we already know how to like sew". [Kristina] So we can...
[Jenn] Yeah, we don't wanna poke big holes in this. [Kristina] Yeah, so we bought the twenty-six.
[Jenn] (sighs) [Kristina] And it's so...

Small.
[Jenn] I feel like it might actually be defective. [Kristina] We just can't get like this...
[Jenn] (laughs) [Kristina] Thread keeps just like unraveling
and like fraying. We cannot, neither of us, who like,
we've made like some serious costumes [Kristina] In our lives.
[Jenn] I've done a lot of hand sewing. [Kristina] We know how...
[Jenn] I know how to get thread to go through a needle! [Kristina] We can't do it.
[Jenn] (laughs) [Kristina] So we're putting this project on a hiatus
and we'll be back when we go to the store And buy bigger embroidery needles.

(Laughs) [Kristina] Alright, it is day two. (Laughs)
[Jenn] (laughs) [Kristina] Of learning how to cross stitch.
We have bought bigger needles. And also a needle threader, which is probably
something we should have owned by now. [Jenn] Yeah.

Really. It really is.
[Kristina] Yeah. So, we've been down here now for like Thirty seconds.
We've already got our needles threaded. [Jenn] (laughs)
[Kristina] (laughs) And we're ready to start.

[Kristina] Look! I started. Starting with white was maybe
not the most like thrilling choice for this video. But it was the middle. [Kristina] How's it going?
[Jenn] Well I just pulled my thread out of my needle.

[Jenn] Again...For like the third time.
[Kristina] No!... No! [Jenn] But, whatever. It's fine.
[Kristina] This hasn't happened to me. [Jenn] I know.

(Laughs)
[Kristina] I got like butterfingers over here. [Jenn] Don't worry bad about it.
[Kristina] Jenn is further than me. [Jenn] (laughs)
[Kristina] I just... I don't get it.

[Kristina] You're just fast.
[Jenn] But messy. [Kristina] Yeah. (Laughs)
[Jenn] (laughs) [Kristina] Look how far I am! I'm getting there. I've got like...
I've got like two-thirds of a popsicle.

[Kristina] Jenn?
[Jenn] (laughs) Yeah, like two-thirds of the popsicle. [Kristina] Yeah... Yeah.
[Jenn] Yeah. (Laughs) [Kristina] And we're watching anime...
We're watching a show called "Strike Witches" [Kristina] It's like, yeah, it's like pretty good.
[Jenn] Yeah.

[Kristina] We watched another one called
like "Lollipop"-something [Jenn] "Save Me! Lollipop"... Real weird. (Laughs)
[Kristina] Yeah. Not...

Not as good. [Kristina] We're finished!
[Jenn] All done! [Kristina] She didn't tell us how to
get the like excess stuff off. [Jenn] This stuff.
[Kristina] So I think... I think we just cut it.

[Jenn] I think we just cut it. We're just gonna wing it.
[Kristina] Just gonna cut it. [Kristina] Look, like mine says "Yum".
[Jenn] Mine says "Stay cool"! [Kristina] And we did it! That was so much fun.
[Jenn] It was a lot of fun. I think we severely underestimated the amount of time
it would take us to learn how to do this.

[Kristina] Yes.
[Jenn] But now that we got it, I feel like I can [Jenn] Totally just sit here and watch TV like every night.
[Kristina] Oh yeah. [Kristina] I can't wait to go on Etsy and get all of
the cute like Harry Potter, nerdy cross stitch patterns [Kristina] And just like make a million of these.
[Jenn] It's gonna be so much fun! (Laughs) [Kristina] This was great. [Jenn] Also, I seriously want so many
swear word pillows. (Laughs) [Kristina] Right?...

This was super fun.
Thank you so much to Skillshare again For letting me try some free classes
to try out their site. I think it's a super cool opportunity
to just go learn new skills. You can do crafty stuff like this.
There's like fitness stuff. There's like business stuff.
There's all sorts of like artsy things.

[Kristina] It's just really cool.
[Jenn] Yeah. [Kristina] Go down into the description to find
information on how you too can try out Skillshare. [Kristina] And... Look at my wig just like looking at us
[Jenn] (laughs) [Kristina] In the background.

(Laughs) [Kristina] So go check it out. Let me know
what classes you end up taking, if you take any. And I will see you next time.
Thanks for learning how to cross stitch with me, Jenn. [Jenn] It's been so much fun.

(Laughs)
[Kristina] I love it! [Kristina] Bye!
[Jenn] Bye!.

Learning How to Cross Stitch with Skillshare!

No comments:

Post a Comment