Tuesday, August 21, 2018

EP-0010 - Scissors - cross-stitch x-stitch needlepoint tutorial flosstube



Hello, and welcome to The Stitching Kitchn! I think scissors are really important. They have to be functional. They have to fit the thing that you're going
to be cutting. So, in that, I'm going to show you a different
pair and talk about them.

And, also, they're really fun to collect. And you can also have lots of fun scissor
jewelry on the ends of them. This pair is not a good embroidery pair of
scissors. And I have a different pair this size in my
...

Kitchen drawer, two kitchen drawers, and on my craft table, and in the bathroom. And, I need scissors wherever I go. So, I have these scissors. And I'm going to lay them down and show you.

They are a little heavier. This gold pair came from a souvenir from a
friend of mine who went to Spain. They're wonderful scissors. And you can see the red and the green pair
are the same.

These have what I call "a hand"on them. All scissors do. Is ... When you cut them ...

You need to hear
like a clicking noise. And you want them sharp to the point. Now, to show you the scissor jewelry. This is ...

Comes from Stitchers Paradise
here in Las Vegas, Nevada. Gina has a little club every year when she
has her aniversary and this was one of the things that you get when you join the club. So, you can see the fun things that you can
attach to your scissors. These I like to use sometimes for paper.

...  For scrap-booking because they give you
a good cut. And sometimes, if I need a small pair for
a piece of fabric, I would use this weight of scissors to cut the fabric. I showed you at the beginning on the scissor.

Here, let's do this. It's called a scissor guard. This is really important. I don't have them on all my scissors because
I don't travel with all my scissors.

But, the ones that I put in my little stitching
bags. Here is one of them. Aren't they cute? I love little toys. Anyway, you need this guard on your scissors
so the points don't get chipped.

Alright. Now, I'm going to show you some of my favorite
scissors. They're all my favorite scissors or I wouldn't
have them. These are called "Ginghers".

These are the most wonderful scissors in the
world. I use them for cutting my threads on my cross
stitch ... My needlepoint. And I use them for Hardanger in my cutting.

They are sharp to the point. I've actually cut my finger. So these Gingher scissors are ... They come
in silver and gold.

They come in all gold. And they come in brushed silver. And I love my black ones. So, the last scissors I want to show you two
pair.

You have. When you're stitching, sometimes you have
metallic threads. And, you do that on both cross stitch and
needlepoint and other thread arts. So, you want a scissor that can cut the metallic
thread but is not going to ruin your Gingher scissors.

And keep these out of your husband's way,
and your kids' way. They need to be sealed in a locked box. So, this pair of scissors is good for your
stitching bag. Because they can cut the metallic threads
and it doesn't matter if they get a little dull.

Always, these are less expensive and you don't
use it that often so you won't have to spend so much money on them. OK. These are cutting scissors. I'm going to put them over here under the
magnifier.

And, they're good to travel with. They're sharp. But, not as sharp as your embroidery scissors. And if you're worried about going on the plane
with them, you can always call the airport or the TSA and ask "can I bring my scissors?".

But, I always pack a good pair in my suitcase. And I take a cruddy pair on the plane. So, these are fun because they unfold. Ta-da! Like that.

And then you can cut away. So, that's a good pair to travel with in your
bag on the plane. I did want to share one more pair of scissors
with you. These belonged to my grandmother.

I don't know how old they are. I think they date back to the 20s. I can look that up. But, they're a real treasure to me because,
in my mother's things, I found them in box.

And they're old and kind of dirty right now. And I like them that way. And believe it or not, they really cut well. The thing I thought was interesting is they
don't have a point.

See you next week. We're going to talk about needles and pins. There are lots of different needles with lots
of different eyes and lots of different points..

EP-0010 - Scissors - cross-stitch x-stitch needlepoint tutorial flosstube

No comments:

Post a Comment